ElectroRecycle has been working with the Vancouver Farmers Market for more than four years now. We first collaborated back in 2016 to offer local communities an opportunity to drop off and recycle their broken small appliances and power tools directly at the markets while shopping for their weekly produce. Years later, we’re happy to say that this ongoing partnership has made recycling a habit for many Farmers Market attendees!
Our 2019 Recycling Results
In 2019, ElectroRecycle attended a total of 12 farmers’ markets located at Riley Park and Hastings Park during the winter (November-April) and Trout Lake and Kitsilano markets during the summer (May-October). Each month we offered those who dropped off a recyclable item a chance to enter into our draw. What for, you ask? To win $100 market dollars!
We collected the largest amount of small appliances and power tools during the summer season, specifically in June and July. Our presence at the 2019 markets kept 1,807 kilograms of appliances out of landfill, the equivalent weight of a rhinoceros! The monthly breakdown is below.
What’s coming for 2020?
We will continue attending our winter market locations until the month of April:
- Riley Park Farmers Market the first Saturday of the month: January 4, February 1, March 7 and April 4 from 10 am to 2 pm
- Hastings Park Farmers Market the first Sunday of the month: January 5, February 2, March 8 and April 5 from 10 am to 2 pm
And then we will switch locations for the summer season beginning in May! Stay tuned to know where we will be on May 2-3, June 6-7, July 4-5, August 1-2, September 5-6, and October 3-4.
What’s in it for you?
- Declutter your home and ensure proper recycling of your items
- Learn more about recycling thanks to our amazing trivia wheel and knowledgeable staff
- Recycle for your chance to win $100 markets dollars. For those of you who might be wondering what these market dollars are, they are Vancouver Farmers Market’s signature currency, sold at all of the markets as $5 wooden tokens.
We can’t wait to see you!